Over the years we have learned to adapt and change with the times. We are a multi-disciplinary business working with land and property in the rural and village sector. Here is a little information about our roots.
1890 is when Thomas Armitstead (the great-grandfather of Mr Geoffrey Armitstead) purchased a business then known as Corbishley. Thomas Armitstead renamed the business Armitstead and was based in Lancaster. His two sons Herbert and Reg were both initially involved in the business but after the sad death of Herbert, Reg took over. Known locally as “Peggy” Armitstead, due to his success at water polo in the Lancaster team, the business continued on from strength to strength and Thomas John Armitstead then carried on the business from offices in Penny Street in Lancaster.
In the late 1940’s the business moved to Church Street, Lancaster and in 1971 T Armitstead and Sons, as they had then become known, bought out North Western Estates and moved to King Street in Lancaster. Thomas J Armitstead and Jacky Johnson were then in business together and were both livestock auctioneers at Lancaster Auction Mart. This is where Geoff Armitstead had his first experience of livestock auctioneering.
It was Geoff Armitstead who took the business into Pilling and he ran the auction in Pilling auction mart, which was then a popular pig market. In 1985 T Armitstead and Son’s took over the auctioneering and secretarial work at Brockholes auction Mart and in 1987 the business moved to Garstang.
The last chapter in the current volume of the history is the change to Armitstead Barnett when Mr P Barnett (now retired from the practice) purchased the business and was swiftly joined in partnership by David Cowburn when the move to Market Place, Garstang took place.
The second office located in the South Lancashire location of Burscough opened in 2003. Further expansion to the north of the region saw our Cumbria office in Kendal open its doors to clients in 2016. We celebrated our fourth office opening in the Ribble Valley location of Clitheroe in February 2019. Richard Furnival, James Fish and Hannah Towers complete the four partner firm.